Wednesday, 5 March 2014

The Power Couple!


Forget Beyonce and Jay-Z! This is officially my new favorite couple!!!

In my previous post, I mentioned that I had interviewed two amazing designers, I kid you not, they are! Aaaand and their names sort of rhyme in a really cute way!!! I just love that. Here's how the interview went down.

Names: Beryl and Bably



Kenyan Fashion Poet: Tell us a little about yourselves

Beryl: I am a 20 year old student of Economics and Statistics. I am also a fashion designer, to me fashion is everything.

Bably: I am 25 years of age, a graduate in Electrical Engineering and also a fashion designer.

Kenyan Fashion Poet: What inspires you to create your designs?

Beryl: We love fashion a lot, that is what inspires us to create our designs.


 Bably: We also spend time on the internet, so what we see inspires us to start making our own items

 




Kenyan Fashion Poet: How did you come up with your brand name? Ndala?

Beryl: He came up with the name *giggles*

Bably: I coined the name from Ndula {Sheng for shoes} to mean open shoes. We are into making sandals.

Kenyan Fashion Poet: How long does it take you to make a piece 

Beryl: To make a pair of sandals, it takes us a day.








Kenyan Fashion Poet: Where do you source your materials?


Bably: Anywhere and everywhere really, but mostly, we source them at Nairobi Textiles, Kariokor Market and Masai Market

Kenyan Fashion Poet: Apart from shoes, do you make anything else?

Beryl: We make other fashion accessories like African print bow ties and bracelets.

Bably: We also make clothes, what I'm wearing for example, I made this.










 Kenyan Fashion Poet: What challenges do you face while designing?


Beryl: Sometimes we make mistakes while beading and we have to start all over again

Bably: We have tailors who sew the the shoes, they make a faults here and there sometimes.








Kenyan Fashion Poet: Why do you like using beads for your designs?


Beryl: Using beads {Masai beads} makes our designs look African and that is how we want them to appear.



Kenyan Fashion Poet: I love how you guys are dressed! Please describe your style. How do you pick out your clothes in the morning and what inspires you to dress the way yo do?

Beryl: I think my style is simple, I do take time to pick what I wear for the day though. I check different fashion sites on the net for inspiration.

Bably: I like wearing my designs and unlike her, I just randomly pick out clothes in the morning. My dad inspires my style.

Kenyan Fashion Poet: What do people think of your designs

Beryl: People simply love our designs.




Kenyan Fashion Poet: Do your families support this?

Bably: Yes, all the way *smiles*

Kenyan Fashion Poet: Do you prefer sketching your designs or actually constructing them?

Bably: We like constructing them as soon as an idea of a design pops up.

Kenyan Fashion Poet: Where do you see yourselves in 5 years time?

Beryl: We want to be recognized as one of the best designers in Kenya

Bably: We also hope to own a warehouse and a broader labor force







Kenyan Fashion Poet:What advice can you give to young people like you, who want to venture into he fashion industry?


Beryl: They should have passion for what they want to do and not let anything stop them, we started with very little capital, but that didn't stop us.

Bably: Start something unique and believe in yourself.

Kenyan Fashion Poet: Lastly: What do yo think of the Kenyan fashion industry?

Beryl: All Kenyan designers are making very good stuff.

Bably: We hope to make better designs compared to what is currently in the Kenyan fashion scene.

~O~

We can draw so much inspiration from this young couple. Beryl and Bably, you're going places! :-)

I love the fact that they make quality products from locally available materials too, It was wonderful spending my afternoon interviewing the two upcoming designers. If you would like to contact them or view more of their designs, see details below:-

Cell: 0725953819 / 0721895536
Facebook: Ndala254


Oh! Please don't forget to like their page as well!

 
Xx

2 comments:

  1. WOW!
    power couple i must say.
    Great interview and photos

    ReplyDelete

Share The Love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...